Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Wine-Bottles -Diamond Drill Bits

Web Counter
Free Counter
v
How many holes can I drill with my diamond drill bit? That is a question that I am often asked by craft people who are just getting started in designing lighted wine bottles or lighted glass blocks. You will like this answer. It all depends--.How thick is the glass you are drill into and the speed of your drill motor. Other factors would be lubrications and technique. You will develop a feel for speed and technique as you gain experience.
The answer also depends on the cost of the diamond drill bit that you purchased. Most craft people use the less expensive drill bits found on the internet. For the most part these less costly drill bits work just fine. Craft people who drill many holes in wine bottles and glass blocks would probably want to purchase a more expensive, industrial grade diamond drill bit.
I will close this discussion by posting several statements in reference to this question that I have received.
One of my customers wrote “one person that I talked to told me she cuts at least 40 blocks with her ½ inch drill bit. I bought a bit from Lowes and only got 4-6 blocks.”
Alice wrote. “ I have drilled over 116 blocks with my 3/4inch drill bit.”
My own personal experience has been that I can expect to drill 25 to 30 blocks or wine bottles with my ¾ inch drill bit. I do not drill a lot of bottles at any one time. I do a few for friends and other craft people.
If you care to comment, please let me know what your experience has been in so far as the number of blocks or wine bottles you get before your drill bit is worn out..

No comments: